Emilio Bacardí Moreau Museum
The first museum was founded in 1899 for initiative of Emilio Bacardí, but his wife, Elvira Cape was who took charge of its construction. In its beginnings it was small and insufficient to keep and to protect the exposed values.
In August of 1922 the construction of this great museum-library began and this place was chosen by its proximity to downtown.
The work (Museum Bacardí) was finished August 28 1927 and it was inaugurated October 27 1927. Their first administrator was José Boffil Cayol.
According to regulation of November 12 1901, the Museum Bacardí was dedicated to collect and to expose the natural products, art and Industry objects, historical curiosities and anthropology, with the purpose that it will serve permanently like center of instruction and recess.
This museum has at the moment three exhibition rooms that coincide with its three levels. The living room dedicated to the History of Cuba from the colonization until the pseudo-republic is located in the first floor; in the second level works of art of our patrimony are exposed, from Cuban and strange artists, as well as sculptures, carved, etc.
In the basement, the archaeology room is located, where objects and samples of the Egyptian archaeology and American are exposed.
Next to the museum we can find out the called Boffil Callejón that shows replicas of facades of santiagueras colonial houses of the XVIII and XIX centuries, and it constitutes at the present time a very singular attractiveness.
After the Victory of the Revolution, the museum was submitted to big remodeling works. At the end of the decade of 80 it was carried out others restoration works that gave place to the current assembly about museography techniques.
Brief description of the rooms of the Bacardí Museum: